No and yes, no its not too late (until the moment your Valentine actually wakes up its not too late) and yes it is possible with kids! Totally possible, we’ve been doing it for three years and I have a little secret planned for Sunday.
The whole point of today’s blog is about giving you a few ideas for Valentines Day (this year) that are manageable with children in tow.
I am a firm believer in experiences and moments as opposed to gifts, don’t get me wrong, I love love gifts and presents. But, if you exchange gifts at every occasion you’re focusing on quantity over quality and this lady loves quality so lets just limit the gift exchange sessions to birthday and christmas, okay maybe our anniversary too.
So children friendly ideas for Valentines 2016 are:
- Picnic at the Botanical Garden. Its free, kid friendly and absolutely beautiful. You can drive into the City and park at the domain or you could travel in making use of Family Fun Day, if you are in possession of an Opal Card (As of 1 January 2016 you can’t get a printed Family Fun Day ticket).
- Fancy Home Breakfast. This involves running out to your favourite bakery or the closest Woolies or Coles for some great breakfast treats – i’m thinking croissants or scones, fruit, fancy bread, maybe throw in some overpriced cheese. It’ll be great for you to spoil yourselves without having to get out into public. Make sure the TV is off and spend some quality time with each other.
- Romantic Movie in. ***disclaimer: only possible if your children are good at going down at night*** We will not being doing this as my children are allergic to sleep. If you are going to do this make sure you pop into the shops today or tomorrow to get some snacks you know your Valentine loves – make them a snack pack with chocolates, their favourite drink or a bottle of wine and some chokes).
- Park walk with a coffee stop. As moms (and maybe Stay at Home Dads, if any are still reading this and don’t think I’m crazy) we are constantly out and about with the kids – we know parks and we know coffee so it may be nice for your Valentine to experience this. A great place for this may be The Flying Fox Cafe situated at Winnererremy Bay Reserve.
- Beach. Need I say more. Sunday is going to have good weather (well according to the google machine) and there is sometimes nothing better than going to the beach as a family and playing in the water. I would try pick somewhere quieter or somewhere special – maybe Palm Beach to avoid the visiting masses. If you head over to Bondi you may even catch sight of a whole flock of Undies (http://www.cupidsundierun.com.au/cities/sydney/).
- Darling Harbour. Not only is darling Harbour is celebrating the ‘Month of Love’ (http://darlingharbour.com/whats-on/month-of-love/) but the water play area is awesome. If you go and you have a water baby with you – don’t forget to pack a spare change of clothes because they will spot the water and all the other kids screaming in delight and make a bee-line for it.
So this post has been a lot longer than I thought it would be but I hope it is helpful to someone.
At the end of the day remember: make some memories and take pictures!
(I hope my dorky picture doesn’t put you off but it is Valentines Day after all and I grew that in my garden and it didn’t die, woohoo!)